by Karen Mehall Phillips - Tuesday, January 30, 2018
When it comes to “Chasing the Adventure,” we American hunters couldn’t have picked a better theme ourselves as Safari Club International (SCI) welcomes us to Las Vegas for its 46th annual SCI Hunters’ Convention at the Las Vegas Convention Center, Jan. 31-Feb. 3. The adventure starts with just trying to get through the jam-packed aisles to visit with worldwide guides and outfitters, makers of guns and gear, jewelers, wildlife artists and designers of outdoor themed home-interior products—from collectibles to custom front doors featuring hand-carved wildlife scenes. As if that’s not enough to draw you here, SCI is throwing in a few new-for-2018 surprises in the form of free floor credits, a hunting sweepstakes and, literally, a wall of guns—all items to be given away to the lucky hunters whose names are drawn. Here is the scoop on the little extras that offer even more reasons to attend the SCI show.
• Floor Credits: Every attendee gets a free floor-credit ticket for each day he or she attends. Winners can use the credit like cash at any booth.
• Wed., Jan 31—four winners of $500 each
• Thurs., Feb. 1—three winners of $1,000 each
• Fri., Feb. 2—two winners of $1,500 each
• Sat., Feb. 3—one winner of $5,000
• 2018 Convention Super Sweepstakes: The new SCI Super Sweepstakes features 10 major prizes, starting with four package prizes including: a “Best of the West” Rifle Package and Multi Species Hunt for Alaska moose, grizzly bear, black bear and caribou; Colorado Big Game Hunts for elk, mule deer, antelope and black bear; a New Zealand Mixed Bag Hunt; and a Leica Sporting Optics Package containing a spotting scope, binoculars, rifle scope and a rangefinder. Other prizes include a whitetail deer hunt at The Sanctuary, a sable hunt with Johnny Vivier Safaris in South Africa, hunts for ibex and mountain goats and, last but not least, two hunting rifles to be announced when the doors open tomorrow.
Timesaving Tip: Considering all the things you want to “hunt” for on the show floor, consider saving time by purchasing your tickets online by clicking here. Ticket prices are one for $20; 15 for $200 tickets; 50 for $500 + five bonus tickets; 100 for $1,000 + 15 bonus tickets; or 225 for $2,000 + 30 bonus tickets.
• “Wall of Guns” Drawings: You know how much fun the popular “Wall of Guns” drawings are at NRA’s annual convention. If you don’t want to wait until this year’s NRA Annual Meetings and Exhibits in Dallas, May 4-6, to participate, SCI is launching its own “Wall of Guns” program this year. Thirty guns will be given away during the four-day show: five winners each day on Wednesday and Thursday and 10 each day on Friday and Saturday.
Topping off all of the above with an exhibit hall full of booths as far as the eye can see makes “Chasing the Adventure” quite the appropriate show theme. By Saturday when I win that $5,000 floor credit, I’ll have more than a few ideas on how to spend it.
■ ■ ■
Editor's Note: If you are generating buzz on the SCI show, SCI asks us to use #sciconvention in your social media posts.
E-mail your comments/questions about this site to: