by Karen Mehall Phillips - Wednesday, January 27, 2016
If you have today's edition of USA Today handy, you can't miss the full page ad from HumaneWatch.org, a project of the nonprofit Center for Consumer Freedom (CCF), explaining the “10 Things You Should Know About the Humane Society of the United States” (HSUS), the anti-hunting group it says is known for raising money off of cats, dogs and other pets but is not what it claims to be.
While most of us have seen HSUS's heart-wrenching TV fundraising commercials through the years, today's ad cites that while 85 percent of the animals shown in HSUS fundraising appeals are cats and dogs, the organization only gives 1 percent of the funds it raises to local pet shelters. What about the remaining 99 percent, one wonders? HumaneWatch.org says the group puts millions more into its pension plan and Caribbean hedge funds and say that as of right now, lawmakers representing 11 states have asked their respective attorneys general to investigate the organization.
“The NRA applauds all efforts like those of Humane Watch to educate the public about how HSUS masks its animal rights agenda, which includes working against the ownership of pets, by giving the appearance of supporting or otherwise being connected with local animal shelters," said Susan Recce, director of NRA-ILA Conservation, Wildlife and Natural Resources. "Even its name “Humane Society” is designed to perpetuate this fraud.”
Commenting on the USA Today ad, Will Coggin, director of research at CCF, said, "HSUS raises a lot of money from well-meaning and unsuspecting people, yet it shockingly leaves pets out in the cold while sticking money in the Caribbean and funding a radical PETA-like agenda. People interested in helping needy pets should give to their local animal shelters."
If you don't have a copy of USA Today, HumaneWatch.org provides the following link to today's ad.
E-mail your comments/questions about this site to:
For questions/comments about American Hunter magazine, please e-mail:
You can contact the NRA via phone at: NRA Member Programs
To advertise on American Hunter, visit nramediakit.com for more information